Sunday, March 21, 2010

Pursuit of Holiness

"For sin shall not be your master because you are not under law, but under grace." Romans 6:14

I recently read the book Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges, It's a very small book but very powerful. It is a challenge for every Christian to live Holy as God is Holy. Several points in the book touched my innermost being but chapter 15 Holiness and Faith may have change my direction and life. I would like to share some of the parts that stood out to me.

Holiness is for every Christian in every part of our life. We are commanded to Be Holy as God is Holy. In Leviticus it is repeated over and over. God really does require us to be Holy, fellow Christians. This includes when people are looking and when they are not.

Holiness is to be separated to God. Christians are to be different than the world. Several illustrations were given in the book about ways the Jerry Bridges was challenged to do the right thing even when no one would know the difference. I've had those too, I'm sure you have too. Times when you get too much money from the teller at the bank and you can choose to keep it or return it. To tell a lie would keep you out of trouble but you choose to be truthful and receive the discipline.

But what about watching that movie where sinful lifestyles are promoted. Laying in bed when you should be up having your quiet time with God. Saying "I'll pray for you" knowing you probably won't remember to do it. Making a commitment and not keeping it. Sharing the juicy bit of gossip in the form of a prayer request. Must I go on, you get the point.

The reason we fail so in holiness is because we do not take it serious. Sin is serious, all sin is serious. A Christian should know this. We can actually laugh about sin sometimes. We say I know this is wrong but...., the devil made me do it. No he didn't. We choose to sin or be holy. "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be Holy; without Holiness no one will see the Lord" Hebrews 12:14

Holiness is not an option. As Christians we can not be right in one area of our life and choose to sin in another. Our holiness will be evident to those who are around us. The story in Chapter 3 about the young man whose father had died and the young man was unsure of his father's salvation is a real eye opener. His father had went forward at an evangelistic meeting at age 10. But when asked the young man could not recall any evidence that his father was a Christian. We all know situations like this. Yes they were "saved", sprinkled, baptized, prayed a prayer, went to church, etc but how have they lived their life? I too did this. When to church off and on from age birth, walked the isle at a church, said a prayer I don't remember, got baptized, joined church, but lived for self not pursuing holiness. I did not think it was possible. Saw no need to do it. Wasted many years. God always pursued me. And this changed at age 28. I started to pursue God.

Jesus of course gave the ultimate example of how a person can live a holy life. Even though He had never sinned He choose to die for us. When tempted He did not sin. He showed us how to live holy. Hebrews 10:7 Jesus says "I have come to do Your will O God" . This is the example we are to follow. Choose to follow Jesus in doing the will of the Father. He says "I always do what pleases Him". Make that your goal to choose to always do what pleases Him.

There will be a battle to be holy. " So I find this law at work; when I want to do good evil is right there with me." Romans 7:21. The sinful nature has been defeated at the time of salvation but it tries to hang on. That is why the word of God is so important. This is how we battle the sinful nature. We keep reminding it of God's truth. This is a daily, hourly, minute by minute process. Memorizing the word is so important. Scripture is never so true to you than when you apply it to a situation in your life. Memorizing " For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for good and not evil to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11 is great but even better is when it looks like all heck has broke loose and nothing is going right and you remember God's plans for you is good and not even. You have a future and a hope. Somehow you can make it through just knowing that. Then you look back and say that was so true look what God has done. Fight the battle memorize scripture, read your Bible, but don't forget to apply it to your daily life.

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature. Sexual immorality, impurity, lust evil desires and greed, which is idolatry." Colossians 3:5 Put sin to death. How do you do that. As God shows you sin in your life by reading His word or through a message or He may just point it out by the indwelling Holy Spirit, you apply the word to that sin. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sin He is faithful to forgive our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Repent. The continue to live in repentance by choosing to not sin every time. Frequent repetition. After time you will put it to death and you will not be so tempted to do it. Never say just one more time. That does not work. It must be over once and for all. You can not play with it. You must remove all temptations that may cause you to fail.

Then I come to Chapter 15 Holiness and Faith. A story about a farmer who choose to not work his harvest crew on Sunday even when a storm threatened really spoke to me. He choose to be obedient even when it looked like obedience would cost him. He proved to be the most prosperous in his area. Obedience in difficult times. Being obedient to the word when it looks like doing so is crazy. Abraham believed by faith in the promise. He was promised to be the father of many nations when he did not even have a child. God called him to leave everything he knew to a place he did not know. Because Abraham believed a promise from God he obeyed.

Noah too, "By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By faith he condemned the world became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith." Heb. 11:7

A command and a promise. God gives a command and then He give a promise. Obeying the revealed will of God and trusting Him for the results. Recently, I believe I received a command from God. And I believe I received a promise from God with that command. Here it is. God told me to build a house for the graduates at WATW with children. He also told me to start the building and not to borrow money. If I start it He will provide the money needed for each stage. Just like He did with the main house. So I told the board we voted to do that. A site was picked out and plans were made. Nothing happened. Funds got low, very low. My faith faded, I started not believing the promise. A house adjacent to the property came up for sale. I thought well I guess I was wrong God must be wanting us to buy this house. We made an offer it was not accepted. Then as I was reading Chapter 15 God spoke to me. Remember the command and promise I gave you. Why have you not done it? I could say well God we had no money, that other house came for sale, I thought I heard wrong but I did not. I said Lord forgive me. I was wrong not to do what You told me to do just how You told me to do it. Help me get back on track. So I am back on track. I called an excavator and asked him to come and get the basement dug. We have just enough money for that. I'm calling Pastor Garry King tomorrow and asking him to help me. We are building a house with no money. Yeah, by faith. Thank you Lord for getting me back on track. Showing me how to be Holy as You are Holy.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13

1 comment:

  1. My prayer always for you, Robin, is that God would make His vison for WATW clear to you. He didn't give me that vision, but He put WATW in my heart and life, and my goal is to serve under you, in the words of The Message, Heb. 13:17b..I want to contribute to the joy of your leadership, not its drudgery. I'm excited about the next step!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Athens, Tennessee, United States
Married to Tommy. Two children Don & John. Two daughter's in love Alison & Lauren. One Grandson Clark(John & Lauren's) and a granddaughter Capri (Don & Alison's)